[Swan-dev] "check was treating AUTHBY as enum, while it is string, "

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Tue Jan 28 11:25:38 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 05:44:10AM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:

> Thanks for finding this bug Antony!
>
> I'm sorry you got bitten by this when you merged in the xfrmi branch.
>
> It does prove a point that branches become stale, and re-merging master
> into them regularly is a good thing. Then this fallout would have
> happened a few months ago.

<frustrated>
yes that is one way to look at it.
sorry, It seems my conclusion from 40 hours bug hunt experience is
different.
</frustrated>

merging when fewer tests failing is the way to avoid post merge bug hunt.
This helps to pin point changes. Stale branches are not the root of the
problem, atleast for me.  Your mileage may vary.

For the future, merge only when the testing stable. Otherwise chance of
nasty things going unnoticed is high and easy to blame the latest merge.
We should keep the tests stable, like now, most of the time;

> few months, but would then throw away the merge.  And I didn't hit it
> because I only tested the branch feature, not a full testrun on the
> merged branch. Hopefully now with our low count of failing tests, people
> including me are more tempted to run full test runs again on branches
> too :)

Yes, low failure count at the time of merge helped a lot.
Thanks for your efforts to get here. Lets hope we do not trash results right
after the merge with some important fixes!

-antony