[Swan-dev] redirection in swan-install

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Mar 9 21:43:53 EET 2014

| From: Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org>

| Why not compile in /source/${OBJDIR} ? I am against using /tmp . There is little gain of time when compiling in /tmp. Most of the time is spend in reading via 9P filesystem.

I'd worry about the file ownership issues.  Is it true that the files
have to be owned by the userid of user running the virtual machine,
not the ones inside the virtual machine?  Are you sure that this isn't
a problem?

What you say about timing makes sense, but have you actually measured
it?

| So, OBJDIR=/tmp/lsw_build could be removed from swan-install and swan-build .

Another use could be to allow different versions on different
machines.  But that seems to be as easy to accommodate with either
technique (just different).

| I compile without -O2 to use of gdb conveniently inside those vm.  It is in Makefile.inc.local;
| USERCOMPILE?=-g  ${WERROR} $(GCC_LINT) -pipe -fexceptions -fstack-protector-all --param=ssp-buffer-size=4  -mtune=generic -fno-strict-aliasing -fPIE -DPIE

That has pluses and minuses.  Being able to use gdb reliably is good.
Testing code that is different from what is shipped is bad.  So I
think we need to make it fairly easy to switch back and forth.

That may just amount to adding what you just said to the wiki page.