[Swan-dev] redirection in swan-install

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Tue Mar 11 18:57:34 EET 2014

On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 03:43:53PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org>
>
> | Why not compile in /source/${OBJDIR} ? I am against using /tmp . There is little gain of time when compiling in /tmp. Most of the time is spend in reading via 9P filesystem.
>
> I'd worry about the file ownership issues.  Is it true that the files
> have to be owned by the userid of user running the virtual machine,
> not the ones inside the virtual machine?  Are you sure that this isn't
> a problem?

it seems to work on swantest. So I don't think we need to tar and copy it.
If it doesn't work for you ask Paul what permission he set. If it works for you I am in favour of getting rid of compiling in /tmp .

> What you say about timing makes sense, but have you actually measured
> it?

Paul once measured it. My experience is also similar. 9p timing and compiling on /tmp is very similar.

<paul>
9p     : 2m36.652s
vm disk: 0m56.460s (got preloaded using cp -a /source /root/source)
nfs    : 2m6.333s (got preloaded using cp -a /mnt /root/source)

no ccache installed. command used: time make programs module install
module_install and OBJ* and modobj deleted between runs.

This was on bofh.

So compiling on a local copy would be about 2.5 times faster then 9p,
and 2times faster then nfs.

</paul>
only thing to add is on a physical machine it is ~0m14.714s

-antony