[Swan-dev] redirection in swan-install

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Sun Mar 9 21:09:01 EET 2014

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 11:22:33PM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Mar 2014, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
> >| The build and install are separate because if you are using OBJDIR on a
> >| p9 fs "make programs module" once and install install_module multiple
> >| times.
> >
> >The way it came to my system, OBJDIR is on /tmp (tmpfs) for speed.
> >
> >The documented procedure was:
> >
> >on one machine: swan-update
> >on each other machine: swan-install
> >
> >That didn't work.
>
> Yeah, that was based on the removal of OBJDIR in /tmp/ which is almost
> never useful because after install and starting the first test, your
> lose everything in /tmp and you no longer have the debug files needed
> to track things. So when I wrote those instructions, I had assumed
> that no OBJDIR was specified in the swan-* scripts.
>
> >Should I check these in?
>
> Perhaps with an OBJDIR=${OBJDIR} or something? so Antony can set it to
> /tmp and others can just do the compile once and install everwhere
> trick?

Why not compile in /source/${OBJDIR} ? I am against using /tmp . There is little gain of time when compiling in /tmp. Most of the time is spend in reading via 9P filesystem.

So, OBJDIR=/tmp/lsw_build could be removed from swan-install and swan-build .

I compile without -O2 to use of gdb conveniently inside those vm.  It is in Makefile.inc.local;
USERCOMPILE?=-g  ${WERROR} $(GCC_LINT) -pipe -fexceptions -fstack-protector-all --param=ssp-buffer-size=4  -mtune=generic -fno-strict-aliasing -fPIE -DPIE

-antony