[Swan] UPDATE Re: Authentication with pam_url and nonces

Mirsad Goran Todorovac mirsad.todorovac at alu.hr
Tue Feb 8 16:17:36 EET 2022

SSLVerifyClient did not exactly work out of the box on our apache2
server, and I don't have
liberty to experiment with it ...

pam_url with HMAC-SHA-2 just works, and I believe it has sound logic:
HMAC-SHA-256 protected the
URL POST fields from tampering in the man-in-the-middle attacks and the
script return code.

However, brute forcing CGI PHP script presents a problem, and mTLS still
seems like a way to do it, if only
I could make it work for me.

Mirsad

On 2/7/2022 7:51 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> If you feel the pam TLS calls needs more than server side cert verification, you should look into client authentication, eg mTLS. Don’t invent your own crypto.

Mirsad Goran Todorovac
CARNet sistem inženjer
Grafički fakultet | Akademija likovnih umjetnosti
Sveučilište u Zagrebu
--
CARNet system engineer
Faculty of Graphic Arts | Academy of Fine Arts