[Swan] Please review: docuemntation of openswan to libreswan migration

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Wed Dec 9 15:03:57 UTC 2015

Some very quick feedback.

I migrated our systems earlier this year from Openswan on Ubuntu to
Libreswan. Coming from this background the big issue was NSS. All the
Ubuntu systems were set up with X.509 certificates and private keys in
separate files and suddenly there was a need for know about this weird
thing called NSS and, before that, why doesn't Libreswan recognise my
existing certificates etc.

Hence, the first thing I looked for on the HowTo was a big upfront
warning about the change to NSS. There is some text on this later on,
but it is easy to miss the significance of this and, where are the links
to the wiki page on NSS - which would be so useful for someone coming
from this background.

Thus my feedback is that the removal of the X.509 file support and the
need to understand how to use NSS should be right up front together with
the link to the NSS page.

Regards

Tony Whyman
MWA