[Swan] Pluto consumes all available memory

Will Roberts ironwill42 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 22:38:19 EEST 2015

On 05/20/2015 03:26 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2015, Will Roberts wrote:
>
>>       Which were? there must have been a lot of the,?
>>
>> These are the exact same leaks in the exact same quantity from my
>> original report, nothing is building up over time and being detected.
>>
>> May 20 18:01:57 sanfrancisco pluto[7864]: leak: 4 * struct event in
>> event_schedule(), item size: 32
>> May 20 18:01:57 sanfrancisco pluto[7864]: leak: pluto crypto helpers,
>> item size: 64
>> May 20 18:01:57 sanfrancisco pluto[7864]: leak detective found 5
>> leaks, total size 96
>
> That's all? Thats a leaking 96 bytes, so where did the memory go?

I think if we knew that, we'd have a solution :)

> You did not link this against ElectricFence right? Because that would
> cause a lot of memory fragmentation that could explain this.

I have no idea what ElectricFence is, so I'm going to say no. I used the
libreswan-3.12 source and built a Debian package out of it using the
Debian scripts that are included.

> So you are running out of memory on the machine. And you know for sure
> it is pluto taking up that memory? Almost all memory allocations go
> through leak-detective which shows there are no leaks. So this is very
> mysterious.

Could something have just allocated a lot of memory? So that it's not
"leaked" and is properly freed on shut down? Is there anything I can
dump from pluto while it's running to help account for the memory usage?
(like a heap dump from Java?)

--Will