[Swan] NetKey vs KLIPS

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Sep 11 17:57:07 EEST 2014

On Thu, 11 Sep 2014, Lawrence Manning wrote:

>> Also the klips interfaces and keeping
>> them bound to other interfaces that could come and go (ppp interfaces
>> for example) was a pain to keep track of to know when ipsec had to be
>> restarted to keep things working.
>
> Yes, this is a rather a nasty limitation.

I think netkey has its own issues there. When your DHCP lease renwews to
the same IP address as before, you lose your tunnel silently.

> I played with using some of the special netfilter matches for netkey, and I know it can be done… it’s just “weirder”. I believe, for instance, that under ntetkey libpcap will se both the cleartext and the cyphered packets….

There should really be a proper hook for tcpdump that would allow seeing
the complete packet flow, and one where you would only see either
encrypted or decrypted packets.