[Swan-dev] kernel_ops

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Mar 12 22:26:45 UTC 2020

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020, Antony Antony wrote:

>> So, notionally, kernel_ops is no longer required.  While I'm assuming
>
> Wonder what would happen when DPDK get addded to both Linux and BSD.

I agree. Let's not rip it out yet. There ar ealso DPDK alternatives, so
this world is becoming more diverse, not less.

> that is good question. My thoughts are start seperating kernel ops along the
> following lines.

Perhaps we should see kernel_ops really as a stack_ops. So specific OS
socket handling should have an ops pointer. But when we have DPDK on two
OSes, perhaps we will need dpdk-linux and dpdk-bsd to differentiate.

I think it is a perfect time to wait and see what happens before redoing
all this now :)

I think the bigges issue is that linuxisms have been creeping into
places outside kernel_*, like the netlink calls that have been added.
Those we will have to fix at some point in the future.