[Swan-dev] Missing routes with KLIPS in 3.30

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Wed Feb 26 08:20:03 UTC 2020

On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 09:56:41AM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Antony Antony wrote:
>
> > > Would it be better to do a true 3.30.1?
> >
> > +1 to this idea.
>
> I still do not prefer changing the way versioning works. We have never
> done this before.

why not?

I think this a good time to start doing 3.30.X style branches and tags. If
we do not master will jump from 3.30 to 3.32, missing 3.31 tag.

As far as I recollect last two times such a jump happened, think of v3.23
and v3.29, no one was happy and requested 3.30.x style release. Then it was
harder to discuss because of CVE. Here is an opportunity to do better
versioning and also discuss it. AFIK there is no CVE in the pipe line. When
there is CVE it is harder even to start discussing new versioning style,
which many of us want see happen for a long time already.

> > I also propse next non klips release bump to 4.0 Removing KLIPS feels
> > like a
> > big setp and 4.0 would reflect this big change.
>
> This was considered, but has a number of issues. The most important one
> being that a _lot_ of people will not upgrade from 3.x to 4.x,
> especially in stable releases. For example, for RHEL8/CentOS8, it
> would likely not work and be postponed to RHEL9/CentOS9. The practical
> result is that we then are maintaining 2 trees and doing a lot of
> backporting and people won't be using our latest release.
>
> From a theoretical view, I agree it should be 4.x. But from a practical
> point of view, it would accomplish the opposite of what we want to
> happen.

RHEL/CentOS Fedora build is always with KLIPS disabled? If we release soon
then we could justfiy saying 3.30 and 4.0 very close. It is not adding new
functionality instead removing functionality which was not enabled in RHEL
or Fedora

I recollect from OpenSSL, when they stripped of SSL they jumped number
instead of abc..

While for KLIPS users 3.X.X would mean a end of line. If we continue 3.X
without klips they would be up for a surprise when they automagiclly install
3.X, or the next release from master.

My hope is 3.30.1 would be enough, and not 3.30.2.. an so on. However  the
reality is KLIPS fixes are likely to come in and we should have clear branch
for loyal (30+ years) KLIPS users:)

As far as the non KLIPS release, release 4.0 sooner than later. We can
probbaly cut 4.0 right away. If we delay it is hard to predict what would
happen.

-antony