[Swan-dev] Missing routes with KLIPS in 3.30

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue Feb 25 14:56:41 UTC 2020

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020, Antony Antony wrote:

>> Would it be better to do a true 3.30.1?
>
> +1 to this idea.

I still do not prefer changing the way versioning works. We have never
done this before.

> I also propse next non klips release bump to 4.0 Removing KLIPS feels like a
> big setp and 4.0 would reflect this big change.

This was considered, but has a number of issues. The most important one
being that a _lot_ of people will not upgrade from 3.x to 4.x,
especially in stable releases. For example, for RHEL8/CentOS8, it
would likely not work and be postponed to RHEL9/CentOS9. The practical
result is that we then are maintaining 2 trees and doing a lot of
backporting and people won't be using our latest release.

>From a theoretical view, I agree it should be 4.x. But from a practical
point of view, it would accomplish the opposite of what we want to
happen.