[Swan-dev] whack_log() or loglog(); Re: [Swan-commit] Changes to ref refs/heads/master

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:18:00 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020 at 14:02, Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yea, whack_log() has always been whack only.  The two recent changes
> were to make the whackfd explicit, and never ever add the magic global
> context.
>
> Unfortunately, all the other log calls in mainline still pick up the
> global whack_log_fd.

I added loglog_global(RC, WHACKFD, MESSAGE,...) which means there are
three cases:
- log to whack only: whack_log(RC, WHACKFD, MESSAGE, ...) - for
intance 'ipsec show'
- log to file only: plog_global(MESSAGE, ...) - for instance in a
global timer event handler that has no whack
- log to whack and file: loglog_global(RC, WHACKFD, MESSAGE,...) - for
instance the above
we could combine plog_global() into loglog_global() and adopt a
convention such as:
    loglog_global(0/*RC*/, NULL/*WHACKFD*/, ...)
when there is no whack.  whack_log() is something of an outlier.

However, I'm not in a hurry.  Just eliminating whack_log_fd will be an
achievement.