[Swan-dev] Q: mobike on kernel without mobike: load or not load the connection

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Jun 12 16:50:56 UTC 2019

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019, Antony Antony wrote:

>> Should we:
>>
>> A) Load the conn, don't send N(MOBIKE) because we don't support it, and
>>    establish a conn without mobike
>
> way complicated, hard do debug when you hit issues. I vote against option A.

To the user it is NOT more complicated to have their VPN connection work
even if the kernel provider screwed up an optional nice to have feature.

In my case, the user has to do no debugging whatsoever, while the kernel
is getting fixed after a bug. In your case, the user has to modify their
configuration, and then magically remember in the future when it is
fixed to try and re-enable it again.

In the end, your user will disable mobike forever. In my case, the user
only does not have mobike while the feature is broken.