[Swan-dev] stderrlog and logfile rotation

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Sep 24 17:31:07 UTC 2018

Hi,

Currently, it is impossible to log rotate or truncate log files without
losing the logging to a file functionality.

I think we should consider re-implement the stdout logging / redirection
so that when logfile= is specified, we use real file writing, and when
we receive some whack message or HUP signal, that we re-open this file
for writing to support log rotation and log file cleaning/truncation.

Perhaps we should have another option for logging that specifically
means using stderr/stdout for use with systemd defaults?

Thoughts?