[Swan-dev] switching to a dedicated build machine

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:47:52 UTC 2018

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 at 13:52, Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 01:11:42PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > Currently, by default, kvm-install does the following:
> >
> >    east: make base
> >    east, west, north, ...: make install-base
> >
> > if you've lots of domains then this quickly gets very slow.  However,
> > with KVM_BUILD_HOST=build in Makefile.inc.local, things instead
> > progress:
> >
> >   build: make base install-base ...
> >   clone build to east, west, north, ...
>
> FYI: I have been doing something similar on my own.  First create a clone, on the clone, I create an rpm with make kvm-rpm.  Install the RPM on the clone then create test-docmains. then just spin up nics and remove libreswan:)
>
> So one issue is there is no target to clone nic, aka regular host -- without libreswan, and a separate one for swanhosts.

Yes.  Getting that working in kvm-target.mk was fiddly.  Under the
hood there are separate KVM_BASIC_HOSTS (aka nic) and and
KVM_INSTALL_HOSTS (aka the rest) where only the latter a cloned from
the build domain.  With this there are some unofficial (as in I think
they work) make targets:

make kvm-{install,uninstall,shutdown}-{base,clone,basic,install}-domains

Making the disk size more flexible sounds like a good idea.  The
images are all .qcow2 so a larger disk could even be the default?

Andrew