[Swan-dev] switching to a dedicated build machine

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 17:11:42 UTC 2018

Currently, by default, kvm-install does the following:

   east: make base
   east, west, north, ...: make install-base

if you've lots of domains then this quickly gets very slow.  However,
with KVM_BUILD_HOST=build in Makefile.inc.local, things instead
progress:

  build: make base install-base ...
  clone build to east, west, north, ...

and, because the install is only run once and cloning is fast, is
significantly quicker than the first method.
But wait, there's more.  Since 'build' has access to the internet (via
the NAT) it becomes very easy to download/install extra stuff.

The one thing blocking me making this the default was the F26_HACK (it
made cloning slower so the benefit was less when using newer guests).
Now that Antony's eliminated that hack in F28 (ya!) I think we can
safely switch.
Converting, as they say, should be painless...  I just push the above
make variable setting and the extra domains will appear ...

Andrew