[Swan-dev] ../../utils/runkvm.py

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:28:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 at 09:21, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> | From: Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org>
>
> | This is possibly another another workaround. Try it?
> |
> | KVM_PREFIX='' a.
> |
> | always have '' as  a prefix and then there will be two sets, a.east and east

Ah, yes.

It's the supported way of defining both empty and named prefixes.  In
fact the code is using this to define the default prefix.  I think the
wiki even mentions it?

The downside is that it only works if you've one build tree.

> Thanks.
>
> I thought of that.  I decided not to do it because:
>
> - I did not know if it would work and it would take effort to find
>   out.
>
> - empty strings are fragile in scripts.  For example:
>         $ echo $(echo '' a.)
>         a.
>
> - any part of the makefile complex might forget to use the prefix and
>   end up with my null-prefix vm instead of a clear failure.  Better to
>   not have one and thus have the Bad Code fail.
>
> - it isn't too hard to add --prefix=a. once you know of the
>   (undocumented) requirement

only the output from 'kvm-help' is 'supported'

> - I'd have to recreate my machines to reflect the new KVM_PREFIX
>   setting

that will just happen

what you might want to do though is clean up the existing domains -
make kvm-purge ; edit prefixs ; make kvm-install

Andrew