[Swan-dev] Recursive make an unfortunate evil, sigh

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 19:00:48 EET 2015

Given that once is happenstance; twice is coincidence; and three times
is enemy action; one has to ask what is:

$ find * -name OBJ.linux.x86_64 -prune -o -name 'Makefile*' -print  |
xargs grep 'for d in \$[{(]SUBDIRS[)]' | wc -l
17

I've put adding $(top_srcdir)/Makefile.subdirs and delete as much
duplicated code as possible on my todo list.

I should note that, while, for the most part our recursion is fairly
benign, there is lib/libcrypto (for instance) where things are getting
a little silly.  Someone like Miller would argue "Recursive Make
Considered Harmful" and this should be fixed, I'll leave any decision
to do that to others :-)

Andrew

ref: http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/?ref=DDiyet.Com