[Swan] Possible to setup multiple connections, partly behind NAT?

Phil Nightowl phil.nightowl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 18:26:31 EET 2024

> > conn headq
> >    left=%defaultroute
> >    leftcert=remotehost1
> >    leftid=%fromcert
> >    right=198.51.100.33
> >    rightid=%fromcert
> >    leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
> >    rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
>
> What are you trying to do here? Where does 0.0.0.0/0 live? It cannot
> live at both sides of the tunnel. Where would a packet for 1.2.3.4
> need to go? To left or to right?
>
> Are you trying to make a route based VPN without using an ipsec interface?

No. Honestly, I just added {left,right}subnet based on your advice regarding
the SSH passthrough conn. Admittedly, without really understanding what is
behind those two - I got quite confused about the 0.0.0.0/0 options.

However, the goal is as described before: keep the working ipsec connection
to hosts living inside 192.168.1.0/24 and additionally establish a
connection from remotehost1.privlan (initiator, 10.0.1.138 locally, sitting
behind a public 203.0.113.55) to server.privlan (responder, 192.168.1.253
locally, public 198.51.100.33). Although the configuration of
remotehost[xx].privlan may vary, you can safely assume remotehost1.privlan
to have just one network interface with the usual configuration.

I hope to have made it less confusing now, at least for you.

Phil