[Swan] LibreSWAN and IPv6 Link Local addresses

William Atwood william.atwood at concordia.ca
Wed Jan 17 04:17:41 EET 2024

Moritz,

There are actually two issues:

1) I know that Libreswan does not support %zone identifiers associated
with Link-Local (LL) addresses, and it appears from your experience that
Strongswan does not either.  I also know that Libreswan insists that an
endpoint address must be "Global".

2) XFRM, which does the actual packet transformation in the kernel, if
given an LL address, will chose a random interface to send the packet
on.  It appears that there is no way to tell XFRM about a zone
identifier for an LL address.

The first issue can be fixed by the Libreswan/Strongswan teams.  I have
created an issue (#1498) on the Libreswan Github site, and the
resolution of this is scheduled for release 5.1 of Libreswan.

The second issue has to be fixed by the maintainer(s) of XRFM.  This
will require applying sufficient motivation to these maintainers; I know
that some people are trying to achieve this motivation.

The (short-term) fix for our project is to manually allocate Unique
Local Addresses (ULA) to each interface, in such a way that no routing
is required (if a LL address would do, then the two peers have to be on
the same LAN).  This enables us to move forward with testing other parts
of the system, and we will revert to LL addresses once XFRM supports
them properly.

I hope that this helps.

   Bill

--
Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Concordia University ER 1234      email:william.atwood at concordia.ca
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8