[Swan] Requesting an Internal Address on a Remote Network (IRAC) on IPSEC

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Nov 2 15:37:04 EET 2023

On Thu, 2 Nov 2023, Sandeep Burugupally wrote:

> 2. IP2 comes in between or rather After IKEv2 is done on IP1, & IP2 is not associated with any Linux Interface.
>
> We need to have an SA for IP2 as an output of IKEV2 on IP1. After researching literature we found that RFC does
> support as CP payloads in IKE message exchanges .
>
> Ref : https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4306#page-56  (section : 2.19)
>
> Kindly guide us in configuring the same in Libreswan .

As a client, this is a simple roadwarrior config, eg:
(assuming using a PSK for authentication)

conn example-name
 	left=%defaultroute
 	leftid=@ClientName
 	leftsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
 	rightsubnet=0.0.0.0/0
 	right=YourVPNServer
 	rightid=@vpn.example.com
 	narrowing=yes
 	auto=start
 	authby=secret
 	leftmodecfgclient=yes

As a server, this is also fairly straightforward:

conn example-server
 	# the VPN server IP
 	left=A.B.C.D
 	authby=secret