[Swan] UPDATE Re: Authentication with pam_url and nonces

Mirsad Goran Todorovac mirsad.todorovac at alu.unizg.hr
Wed Feb 23 16:42:25 EET 2022

mTLS did not work for me.

I didn't invent my own crypto, but I used mutual HMAC authentication
with preshared secret and
pluggable hash functions. It is an evolutionary step for a server side
PHP script that relied on IP
address alone to verify its client.

If anyone thinks it is worth a look, it is here:

https://github.com/mtodorov3-69/pam_url/tree/experimental

It would probably be prudent to have a peer review of the code before it
is given for people trying
to authenticate the VPNs with PAM.

Kind regards,
Mirsad

On 7.2.2022. 19:51, Paul Wouters wrote:
> If you feel the pam TLS calls needs more than server side cert verification, you should look into client authentication, eg mTLS. Don’t invent your own crypto.

Mirsad Todorovac
CARNet system engineer
Faculty of Graphic Arts | Academy of Fine Arts
University of Zagreb
Republic of Croatia, the European Union
--
CARNet sistem inženjer
Grafički fakultet | Akademija likovnih umjetnosti