[Swan] pam_open_session(3) Re: SUCCESS Re: NEW PROBLEM Re: IKEv2 PAM auth failure - how it's done properly?

Mirsad Goran Todorovac mirsad.todorovac at alu.unizg.hr
Thu Feb 3 14:23:51 EET 2022

On 1.2.2022. 2:53, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2022, Mirsad Goran Todorovac wrote:
>
>> Thank you, PLUTO_PEER_ID was exactly what I wanted, and it wasn't
>> documented ;-)
>>>
>>>  Yes, if you check the _updown script you should see all the
>>> environment
>>>  variables we pass into it from our pluto daemon. Or you can check the
>>>  function jam_common_shell_out() in programs/pluto/kernel.c (we might
>>>  have not always updated the _updown env variables comments there)
>>
>> This was a very useful advice. Don't worry about the script not being
>> updated, nobody
>> throws a gem because it was not polished :-)
>
> I've updated the variable list:
>
> https://github.com/libreswan/libreswan/commit/beb07948532b6a0a9ff3435f21c44e6e62f1f596

I could also contribute my work on modifying pam_url to make it do a
passwordless auth based
on an authorization file lookup:

[1] https://domac.alu.hr/~mtodorov/contrib/pam_url_0.3.3.mod.diff
[2] PHP authorization script:
https://domac.alu.hr/~mtodorov/contrib/myauth.php.txt
[3] sample /usr/local/etc/vpn-ikev2-authorized file:
https://domac.alu.hr/~mtodorov/contrib/vpn-ikev2-authorized

... because otherwise it will not work (for pam_url to ask for password
or auth token
when the client is authenticated via certificate and there is no
EAP/MS-CHAP v2.

So, the user is authorized via cert, but he can be blacklisted in
authorization file. In fact, he must be
whitelisted to be authorized in the PAM auth pass.

Hope this helps someone.

Kind regards,
Mirsad

--