[Swan] ECDSA Re: Libreswan 4.6: connection IKEv2 win10 to Linux freezes soon after Android device connects

Manfred mx2927 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 22:04:17 EET 2022

Hi Mirasd,

I ran into the issue about ECDSA certs with Windows 10 a while ago, and
Paul explained to me that there is in fact a problem with exchanging
ECDSA certs between Libreswan and Windows 10.

Here is what I have found (taken from a 2020 post from me on this list):
> If you use authby=ecdsa libreswan will authenticate according to RFC7427, but for this type of authentication (EC digital signatures) Windows uses RFC4754:
> https://www.iana.org/assignments/ikev2-parameters/ikev2-parameters.xhtml#ikev2-parameters-12
>
> They are both valid standard proposals, the one used by libreswan (RFC7427) is more recent and is meant to be a common standard that generalizes different authentication methods including ECDSA.
> But apparently RFC7427 is not backwards compatible to RFC4754, so Windows and libreswan can't exchange ECDSA digital signatures.
> RFC4754 is not obsoleted by RFC7427, so it is likely that Windows will keep using it until they have reason not to.

If something has changed in the meantime, I'd love to hear.

As a side note, following this thread, if I am not mistaken you are
using MODP1024, which is known to be weak.
It is actually possible to use MODP2048 (and maybe higher) with Windows
10, by using the Powershell function "Set-VpnConnectionIPsecConfiguration".
Windows 10 still defaults to MODP1024, but using that function you can
configure an IKEv2 VPN connection to use MODP2048 (aka DH Group 14).