[Swan] Options for Windows clients

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue Dec 22 17:06:41 UTC 2020

On Dec 22, 2020, at 10:08, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a libreswan-4.1 install on fedora32 and would like to connect
> some remote road warriors with Windows clients so I may connect them
> to the corporate network to access our asterisk phone system.

Please upgrade to the latest 4.2rc1 that was pushed into fedora two days ago to avoid an nss bug causing libreswan to restart.

You can configure windows to use an IKEv2 VPN or use the older IKEv1 based IPsec/L2TP.

> Will WireGuard work?

WireGuard is not IKE/IPsec based. It requires a third party client instead of the build in OS IPsec client. Libreswan is also not a WireGuard implementation.

> Is there documentation available on how to configure
> it with libreswan?

Yes, see our libreswan examples on the website.

> Are there other freely available clients?

IKE/IPsec is the only native VPN client for Windows. Everything else requires third party clients.