[Swan] Is it possible to apply a (private) policy to host-to-host vpn-cfg ?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sun Apr 19 21:58:32 UTC 2020

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020, Daniel Thielemann wrote:

> To secure it up completely I would like to ask if there is any way I could
> apply a "private or drop/hold packet" policy to my vpn configs so that
> packets are encrypted in ANY case before they leave the box?

if you use auto=ondemand or auto=start, then no unencrypted packets will
ever leave the host. The packets will either get encrypted, or dropped.

> I used the parameters already but the shunting

the negotiationshunt/failureshunt is really more meant for mesh
encryption deployments, where some nodes might want to fallback
to cleartext if a node does not support encryption. These values
do not need setting, and should not be set for regular host to host
or site to site tunnels.