[Swan] Windows 7/10 ipsec issues

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 16:23:19 UTC 2020

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 23:37:50 +0200
John Crisp <jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk> wrote:

> I am trying to help some friends get off Windows PPTP (!!!!) and first
> stage was to L2TP/Ipsec.

Well, an extremely long shaggy dog story later.

Windows. Every time I use it (which is rare) it just serves to remind
me why I dumped it.

I found a note here:
https://github.com/StreisandEffect/streisand/issues/291

And then this:
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Client_VPN/Troubleshooting_Client_VPN#Common_Connection_Issues

"Modern Windows devices do not support L2TP/IPsec connections when the
Windows computer or VPN server are located behind a NAT."

What? Modern? Hey Ho. Seems Linux and Android etc are happy to do so.

Add this key and reboot:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent
RegValue: AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule
Type: DWORD
Value data: 2
Base: Decimal

Instant karma.....

Remember that only one device at a time can connect from a NAT'd Lan.