[Swan] windows 10 Policy Match Error

Computerisms Corporation bob at computerisms.ca
Fri Oct 4 18:29:17 UTC 2019

Hi Again,

Turns out that brand new laptop still does connect so long as I do not
specify an ike/esp line.  in the debug logs, it seems to choose this
proposal:

IKE:ENCR=AES_CBC_256;INTEG=HMAC_SHA2_256_128;PRF=HMAC_SHA2_256;DH=MODP2048[first-match]

Not sure how that helps me get the other ones connected, but it is
interesting, at least...

In the debug logs, I think this is the line that indicates what windows
is proposing that libreswan is rejecting:

pluto[30250]: "rw-ikev2"[1] 50.117.137.129 #5: no local proposal matches
remote proposals 1:ESP:ENCR=AES_CBC_256;INTEG=HMAC_SHA1_96;ESN=DISABLED
2:ESP:ENCR=3DES;INTEG=HMAC_SHA1_96;ESN=DISABLED

so I put this in my conn:

esp=aes256-sha1-modp1024

and the connection worked.

so I go back to the wiki, which tells me to use this:

esp=aes_gcm256-null,aes_gcm128-null,aes256-sha2_512,aes128-sha2_512,aes256-sha1,aes128-sha1,aes_gcm256-null;modp1024

and I believe from reading the man page on the topic that this should
also match the aes256-sha1-modp1024 proposal, however evidence clearly
indicates it does not.

I tried messing with the syntax of the wiki line a bit, but nothing I
did worked, really not clear what I am missing.  Did I find a problem
that isn't supposed to be there?  Or am I just stuck with only accepting
the single esp proposal?

How do I interpret this and translate it to