[Swan] Kernel does not support NIC esp-hw-offload

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Jun 17 16:42:17 UTC 2019

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> I am seeing the below error when i am installing libreswan-3.29-1.el7.x86_64 on CentOS Linux release 7.6.1810 (Core)
> 64-bit architecture.
>
>       Jun 17 06:55:37.799835: ERROR: can't offload to eth0 because SIOCETHTOOL ETHTOOL_GSSET_INFO failed. Errno
>       95: Operation not supported
>       Jun 17 06:55:37.799844: Kernel does not support NIC esp-hw-offload

Did you change the option nic-offload= from its default "auto" to "yes" ?

With set to auto, it should not cause any failure.

Another issue could be that the ethtool code is too old and this error
should really just be a debug warning.

Regardless, if the connection works, and you are not expecting to be
using special nic's with hardware offload support, you can ignore
this message.

Paul