[Swan] FAILURE in loading XFRM IPsec stack on 3.28

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue May 28 04:29:59 UTC 2019

On Mon, 27 May 2019, Computerisms Corporation wrote:

> Thanks for responding, much appreciated.
>>  It is part of the kernel, and is created by enabling
>>  CONFIG_XFRM_STATISTICS.
>
> Acknowledged and understood.
>
>>  Does your system have /proc/sys/net/core/xfrm_acq_expires ?  Maybe we
>>  need to switch to that to test whether XFRM support is available.
>
> Apparently so:
>
> ls -al /proc/sys/net/core/xfrm_acq_expires
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 May 27 17:24 /proc/sys/net/core/xfrm_acq_expires
>
>>>  So, did I find a real problem, or am I just in need of someone to point
>>>  out a glaringly obvious error on my part?
>>
>>  It's not you, it's us :)
>
> Phew, not that I am happy to pass my troubles to others or anything ;)

I've created a patch:

https://github.com/libreswan/libreswan/commit/716f4b712724c6698469563e531dea3667507ceb

(if you want a text based patch for use with "patch", append ".patch" to the above URL

It should fix the XFRM detection for you.

> Okay, so custom kernels are within my skill set, but I don't really want to
> be creating a new custom kernel for every firewall I have under my thumb.
> Pretty sure one of the happiest days in my computing career was finding
> linux-image in the apt repos.  Is there an immediate workaround short of
> installing an older version?  can I change the _stackmanager.in file to look
> for this /proc/sys/net/core/xfrm_acq_expires file instead? or will that just
> move me to the next problem?

That's only part of the problem. pluto itself also checks. So best to
just apply the above patch :)