[Swan] Wildcarding rightid

Messa, Michael - 0664 - MITLL mmessa at ll.mit.edu
Fri Apr 5 12:56:26 UTC 2019

Paul,

First off, thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

To provide slightly more context, I'm in a position where I am attempting to provide an IPSEC implementation that is compliant with a 'specification, as written'. Part of my mission is to evaluate the specification for buildability and to identify holes. Since LibreSwan is the de-facto IPSEC implementation on many commercial platforms I wanted to make sure I could achieve interoperability with this spec using LibreSwan.

"If that is a fixed string, why can't that the peer ID known to the client?"

There is currently no mechanism defined for this ID to get to the client in this spec. I've identified this as a potential hole but received pushback because "it works with StrongSwan".

"We currently do not support this."

Thank you for confirming. To me this actively demonstrates that this particular scenario is atypical.

"I still cannot imagine a scenario where the constraints you mention are a valid set of constraints for deployment."

I concur. The counter argument I've received is that the PSK alone is sufficient to anchor the trust between the client and the server and that the IDr in this case is not consequential.

If you have any further thoughts on the matter feel free to share. Thanks again for your time.

-mike