[Swan] IPsec tunnel ping succedes only initially

Matteo Centonza matteo at metatype.it
Sun Feb 24 20:06:43 UTC 2019

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019 Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

On Thu, 14 Feb 2019, Matteo Centonza wrote:

> > i'm trying to establish a stable ipsec tunnel between an aws vpc and my
> home lab.
> >
> > I've configured a centos 7.6 machine with libreswan-3.25.4-1 in ec2 and
> i'm using a vodafone modem as
> > client (total blackbox).
> >
> > IPsec tunnel starts just fine,  but often ping timeouts after first
> successful packet and i need to
> > restart connection. I've tried to play with several options (including
> mtu changes) but without luck.
> >
> > Does this rings any bell?
>
> No that sounds odd. check the logs to see if the tunnel is continiously
> restarted or if the pluto daemon is crashing on either end.

just for posterity, problem was likely caused by vodafone modem (Vodafone
Station Revolution hhg2500, firmware revision 5.4.8.1.327.1.12.1.7).
Unfortunately there's no way to access tunnel logs to confirm.

By swapping with a centos box with libreswan, tunnel works like a charm.

Thanks for your help,

-m