[Swan] Trying to get dependably clean restarts with Cisco ASAs onother ends

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Mon Oct 15 13:46:10 UTC 2018

Hi Satavee,

Now that you mention that, I recall one of the Cisco admins some time back,
when we were still running Openswan on this end, saying that the Cisco had
duplicates up for tunnels giving trouble. Restarting the Cisco at the same
time as this end helped. More recently when I've called when there's trouble
that haven't noticed that; but I'm not sure they looked closely.

I'm not specifying which IKE version to run. Whack shows the tunnels
configured as:

000 "cisco/8x1":   policy: PSK+ENCRYPT+TUNNEL+PFS+UP+IKEV1_ALLOW+IKEV2_ALLOW+SAREF_TRACK+IKE_FRAG_ALLOW+ESN_NO;
000 "cisco/8x1":   IKE algorithms: 3DES_CBC-HMAC_SHA1-MODP2048, 3DES_CBC-HMAC_SHA1-MODP1536

Are you saying the "PARENT SA established" message is specific to when
there's trouble? I don't have that at all right now, but the tunnel's stable
at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Whit