[Swan] Hardware requirements for setting libreswan IPsec VPN tunnel

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 08:29:08 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 2, 2018 at 8:43 PM Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jul 2018, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I will appreciate if you can share me the hardware requirements for
> setting libreswan IPsec VPN tunnel. I am setting up
> > libreswan IPsec VPN tunnel in AWS EC2 instance.
>
> hardware requirements are mostly based on the amount of encrypted
> packets you need to support. If it runs Linux, it can run libreswan.
> We even have it running on the Lantronix XPORT PRo, which is an
> embedded 32bit x86 nommu CPU with 16MB of RAM.
>
> But we also support things like the Mellanox Innova 40Gbps IPsec.
>
> For more "regular" IPsec traffic of up to 1gbps, regular PC hardware
> is fine.
>
> Note that for AWS, I personally found that the "hardware" specs seem
> to be a bit overselling the actual performance.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul for the email.  Currently i have selected AWS t2.large instance
type as per https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

*t2.large 2 vCPU's  8GB RAM EBS-Only. *

Is there a way to measure the amount of encrypted packets being processed
by libreswan IPsec VPN tunnel?

I look forward to hearing from you and thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal