[Swan] Need help connecting a TPLink Archer D9 to a Ubuntu libreswan ipsec server

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sun Jun 24 17:12:35 UTC 2018

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> Trying to get a subnet<->subnet vpn between work and my home Archer D9 router

So I assume this goes across the internet?

> Work Internet : TPLink ER-5120  ADSL2+
> - Static public ip on mycompany.com.au
> - Internal subnet 192.168.5.0/24
> - DMZ to Ubuntu server on 192.168.5.52
>
> Home Internet:
> - xDSL, Dynamic IP

> Jun 24 17:28:47 vpnserver pluto[12658]: packet from x.x.x.x:500: initial Main
> Mode message received on 192.168.5.52:500 but no connection has been
> authorized with policy PSK+IKEV1_ALLOW

Because you are using your internal IPs for left/right but those are not
the IPs on which you run IKE itself.

> conn lindsay
>         also=common
>         leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
>         rightsubnet=192.168.5.0/24
>
> conn common
>         type=tunnel
>         left=192.168.1.1

You want left=%defaultroute to pickup your dynamic IP.

>         leftsourceip=x.x.x.x
>         right=192.168.5.52

You want right=mycompany.com.au  (or if it is a static IP put that in)

>         ike=3des-md5;modp1024
>         phase2alg=3des-md5;modp1024

Really should modernize these. Easiest is just leave out these two lines
and it will pick much better algorithms, like AES_GCM.

> lindsay.secrets
> %any %any : PSK "test"

Don't forget to make it much stronger than that :P Ideally, move to raw
RSA keys instead.