[Swan] Need help connecting a TPLink Archer D9 to a Ubuntu libreswan ipsec server

Lindsay Mathieson lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 07:50:12 UTC 2018

Need help connecting a TPLink Archer D9 to a Ubuntu libreswan ipsec server

Trying to get a subnet<->subnet vpn between work and my home Archer D9
router (and eventually others). I actually had it working fine between
the D9 and our work Vigor2870 router but that had to be retired, so I
setup Ubuntu Server 18.04 VM.

Setup:
Work Internet : TPLink ER-5120  ADSL2+
- Static public ip on mycompany.com.au
- Internal subnet 192.168.5.0/24
- DMZ to Ubuntu server on 192.168.5.52

Home Internet:
- xDSL, Dynamic IP
- TP Link Archer D9
- 192.168.1.1

I've tried a *lot* of configs, but they all result in the following
(from ipsec barf):

Jun 24 17:28:47 vpnserver pluto[12658]: packet from x.x.x.x:500: initial
Main Mode message received on 192.168.5.52:500 but no connection has
been authorized with policy PSK+IKEV1_ALLOW

I believe I have the ike, phase 2 & secrets set correctly. Not so sure
re the subnets. Am at a loss as to what to try next

my current non working config

lindsay.conf
config setup
         protostack=netkey

conn lindsay
         also=common
         leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
         rightsubnet=192.168.5.0/24

conn common
         type=tunnel
         left=192.168.1.1
         leftsourceip=x.x.x.x
         right=192.168.5.52
         authby=secret
         ike=3des-md5;modp1024
         phase2alg=3des-md5;modp1024
         pfs=yes
         lifetime=3600
         ikelifetime=3600
         keyexchange = ike

lindsay.secrets
%any %any : PSK "test"

Archer is Setup with
- Remote IPSec Gateway (URL):mycompany.com.au

- Tunnel access from local IP addresses:Subnet Address
- IP Address for VPN:192.168.1.0
- Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

- Tunnel access from remote IP addresses:Subnet Address
- IP Address for VPN:192.168.5.0
- Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0

Key Exchange: IKE
Auth: Preshared Key
Key: test
PFS: enabled

Ike & Phase 2 Algorithms matching the server.

Thanks.

--
Lindsay