[Swan] Somehow the ip addresses are changing in the vpn tunnel

Brian Foddy brian at fodvo.org
Wed May 9 03:04:51 UTC 2018

I reviewed and ultimately disabled the mangle tables, no help there.
(they were setting up QOS rules).

the ipsec verify did show some issues like rp_filter was active, but
forcing it off had no effect once I corrected them.

One more behavior I've noticed, when the tunnels are active, I cannot
access the remote host via the pubic ip address (ssh or ping).  I can
only get to it through a third host not part of the tunnel.  If I
totally tear down the tunnel and stop pluto, then I can communicate to
the remote host via the public IP address.

I've pretty carefully reviewed the rest of the firewall rules, so far,
nothing seems to help.

I even tried setting ESP=NULL-MD5, in hopes of sniffing the unencrypted
packets outbound to see if I can determine which host might be at fault,
so far I cannot even narrow it down to which host, though my gut tells
me the south host from the pings I can trace.

I'll may have to take a break for a couple days, but I'll be back and if
someone has more hints of how to debug this please forward them.

Brian