[Swan] authenticated Opportunistic Encryption !

John Crisp jcrisp at safeandsoundit.co.uk
Sun Dec 10 01:23:54 UTC 2017

On 8 December 2017 18:43:04 CET, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:
>On Thu, 7 Dec 2017, Kesava Vunnava (kesriniv) wrote:
. Is there any way (either through
>configuration/tweak) available to disable this check !?
>
>No there is no such option, because it is inherently insecure.

And presumably has been for a long time....

What is more insecure... taking an acknowledged risk with your certificates by using a switch to override the new defaults, or being forced for whatever reason to stay on an older version of Libre?

I have a similar issue with a router that I need to upgrade. It can't operate with newer minimum defaults until I can get to replace it, so until I can I have no option but to use an older, (potentially less secure because of bugs etc) version of Libre. That is going to take me a few months to sort due to locations. In the meantime I just have to accept the risks.

I don't dispute that raising security levels is important. But for various reasons we can't always jump that high or fast immediately.

Just a thought.... :-)