[Swan] Opportunistic encryption on a secondary interface

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Nov 30 17:01:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017, Matt Hilt wrote:

> Perhaps I found my issue. These lines are in my logs:
> Nov 30 10:25:57: FIPS: ignored negotiationshunt=passthrough - packets MUST be blocked in FIPS mode
> Nov 30 10:25:57: FIPS: ignored failureshunt=passthrough - packets MUST be blocked in FIPS mode
>
> I assume this means there can be no failover at all in FIPS mode?

Ohh. you are in FIPS mode...

FIPS mode does not allow a fail-open tunnel. You have an interesting
case here though.....

> Or I need to add the unconfigured hosts to my clear policy at least temporarily
> to get what I am after?

That would be one way of temporarilly fixing it yes. In FIPS, you really
only have clear and private, and private-or-clear and clear-or-private
does not make much sense. Although some of this might depend on the FIPS
lab and NIST person you are talking to.