[Swan] Problems with Initial Configuration

Glenn Sams glenn at hpaptechnologies.com
Wed Nov 15 16:49:47 UTC 2017

For the CA, I understand the extra security in keeping it stored outside
the ipsec directory, but is it required? I only ask as this CA is only
to be used by home VPN and if I ever have to wipe and reload I would not
mind no care to recreating.

I thought I had remove the -sport from the iptables commands. My mistake
there.

As for the forward. That is just the default one place by the OS. I have
not gotten that far in setting up the firewall as I was still trying
trying to get a connection to the server established. I know I would
have to remove line and add in something like:
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -s 172.16.2.0/24 -d 192.168.9.0/24 -j
RETURN
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 172.16.2.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/8 -j
MASQUERADE

I also forgot to include in the original email. That when using Main
mode I do not see any connection attempts at all in the server and even
tired it with iptables shutdown. With or without iptables turned on when
in Main Mode i see the requests coming in via TCPDUMP, but libreswan
doesn't seem to register them. Only in Aggressive mode does libreswan
notice the connection.
11:11:21.187284 IP <client_host>.isakmp > <server_host>.isakmp: isakmp:
phase 1 I ident

aggressive=yes also did not seem to be a valid option. So i looked at
the ipsec.conf.5 manual and saw aggrmode was the parameter name. However
when I reading through the wiki for libreswan for the type of connection
i wanted to use. They only used the aggrmode on the client side and not
the server side.
https://libreswan.org/wiki/VPN_server_for_remote_clients_using_IKEv1_XAUTH_with_Certificates

Whats funny about the line you point out. When you look at the out of
`ipsec status` you can see:
000 "xauth-rsa": policy:
RSASIG+ENCRYPT+TUNNEL+DONT_REKEY+XAUTH+MODECFG_PULL+AGGRESSIVE+IKEV1_ALLOW+IKEV2_ALLOW+SAREF_TRACK+IKE_FRAG_ALLOW;