[Swan] LibreSwan 3.21 Client side ERROR using AWS (server side)

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sat Oct 28 09:04:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Priyank Kumar wrote:

> Since this was my first post, I should be posting more details, but finally I got it working after posting on the
> mailing list

I'm glad you got it working

> ~# ipsec addconn myvpn

Note you should use: ipsec auto --add myvpn   (which internally calls addconn)

> 002 added connection description "myvpn"
>
> 2) Restart the ipsec and xl2tp connection

I'm not sure why you are adding a connection to the daemon and then
restart the daemon? If you want the connection always loaded, add

 	auto=add

to your connection myvpn

> 4) Now we have to add adaptor using xl2tp for PPP to be up and you get an IP
>
> echo "c myvpn" > /var/run/xl2tpd/l2tp-control

I guess we could make this part nicer, but people really shouldn't
install new L2TP/IPsec servers anymore and use IKEv2 or IKEv1-XAUTH
instead.

> It would be a great help if wiki is update with both side config and how to start the client side connection.

Agreed :P

We do create users with wiki edit rights to those who are willing to help :)

> Where you mentioned about following, do we have a sample config on both which I could test. I am doing on my
> embedded ARM gateway with integrated MODEM.
>  *  FULL MESH ENCRYPTION
>  *  OPPORTUNISTIC IPSEC GATEWAY

You can find more information about those at:

 	https://libreswan.org/wiki/#Cloud_and_mesh_deployments