[Swan] Hashing password passwd

Glenn Pierce glennpierce at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:08:23 UTC 2017

I have a remote client using IKEv1 XAUTH with PSK setup kind of going.
In that Shrew Soft client can connect . I can't connect with network
manager under Linux but that't is a different question.

I have managed to connect with the Shrew Soft client when I have
xauthby=alwaysok  and xauthfail=soft which I know I should not.

I want xauthby=file

so I create the file.

I have done that to the format described at
https://github.com/libreswan/libreswan/blob/master/docs/README.XAUTH

I have tried hashing my passwords with
sha1sum
and
sha256sum

ie

echo -n test | sha1sum
a94a8fe5ccb19ba61c4c0873d391e987982fbbd3  -

My passwd file looks like

test:a94a8fe5ccb19ba61c4c0873d391e987982fbbd3:myconn

However whenever I try to log in I get

XAUTH: User test: Attempting to login
Sep 19 16:59:44 ews-********* pluto[28630]: XAUTH: passwd file
authentication being called to authenticate user test
Sep 19 16:59:44 ews-********* pluto[28630]: XAUTH: password file
(/etc/ipsec.d/passwd) open.
Sep 19 16:59:44 ews-********* pluto[28630]: XAUTH: nope
Sep 19 16:59:44 ews-********* pluto[28630]: XAUTH: User test:
Authentication Failed: Incorrect Username or Password
Sep 19 16:59:44 ews-********* pluto[28630]: "myconn"[2] *.*.*.* #3:
received Delete SA payload: self-deleting ISAKMP State #3

What am I doing wrong hashing those passwords ?

Thanks