[Swan] What's a "usable" IP?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Sep 11 22:47:26 UTC 2017

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017, Duncan Stokes wrote:

> > I've added the elastic IP to lo on the AWS instance.
>
> To confirm this: you have bound the (public) elastic IP to the lo interface of the AWS instance?  I have never heard of this requirement it is certainly not required -
> and in fact might well be a contributing factor to the problem.

How else are you going to send packets with that source IP?

the alternative is to use the pre-NAT IP, but the remote end
might not like it, have conflicts, etc etc. By doing the
elastic IP on loopback, the NAT is really just a NAT between
the machines, and no pre-NAT IPs are visible anywhere.

> One of our AWS end configs (sanitised) below:
> conn ipsec-tunnel-00
>     type=tunnel
>     authby=secret
>     left=%defaultroute
>     leftid=<elastic IP of instance NOT bound anywhere on instance>
>     leftnexthop=%defaultroute
>     leftsubnet=<instance subnet>
>     leftsourceip=<instance eth0 ipv4 addr>
>     right=<remote target public IP addr>
>     rightsubnets=<target subnet>

Ahh you are building a site-to-site tunnel that does not involve the
elastic IP itself. Yes binding the elastic IP is only needed if you
build a tunnel from outside of AWS with destination ONLY the elastic IP.