[Swan] Can't get failureshunt & negotiationshunt to work in passthrough mode

Evan Wheeler emwdev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 00:18:43 UTC 2017

I've been trying to get  the "failureshunt" and "negotiationshunt" options
 to work with Redhat Linux 7.3 and 7.4 Beta 1 with seemingly no success in
a host-to-host PSK configuration.  To simulate a simple failure I made the
PSK values different on each host so that the IKE negotiation would fail
and added "failureshunt=passthrough" and "negotiationshunt=passthrough" to
my "conn" section.

My understanding is that the "negotiationshunt=passthrough" option would
allow traffic to pass in the clear between two hosts while the hosts are
negotiating during Phase 1, and "negotiationshunt=passthrough" would allow
packets to pass in the clear after negotiations had failed due to the
differing PSK values on each host, but a simple ping test between the hosts
shows no ICMP packets passing in either direction according to Wireshark.
All I see are ISAKMP packets.   Here are the contents of my ipsec.conf file
 for both hosts:

config setup
    protostack=netkey

conn mytunnel
    left=192.168.1.2
    right=192.168.1.3
    authby=secret
    auto=start
    failureshunt=passthrough
    negotiationshunt=passthrough
    keyingtries=1
    retransmit-timeout=3s

Am I missing something ? Should failureshunt and negotiationshunt work in
this configuration?

Regards,

Evan