[Swan] bonding vpn tunnels

Bob Miller bob at computerisms.ca
Thu Feb 16 04:46:41 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a client located in a very remote area and they have some super
crappy internet.  We can get them multiple ISP connections, but the
limitation there is that no one data connection can go faster than a
given ISP connection (that is to say two computers can as fast as one
ISP connection, but one computer cannot go as fast as two ISP connections).

I got it in my head that maybe I could locate a server at a better
connection in a more populated area, and then set up each ISP connection
with a VPN tunnel to this server, and then bond the VPN tunnels
together, making it so the whole network has an external IP of server in
the populated area.  Then maybe one computer can go at the speed of
two/three/four ISP connections.

In searching this on the internet, I see I am not the first person to
think of this, it seems there is a proprietary system called pepvpn, and
I found a few threads/discussions mentioning a few other proprietary
options.

But I am wondering if Libreswan would support something like this.
would standard ethernet bonding work if I used klips (or I guess it's
vti now?) interfaces?  does netkey have any features that would be
useful in this scenario?  Has anybody got any experience with this kind
of setup?  I would be interested to hear any opinions or comments...

--
Bob Miller
Computerisms