[Swan] Libreswan to AWS connection - solved disconnects and multiple SAs being left open

Schmidt, Michael M Michael.Schmidt at ca.com
Tue Oct 11 17:55:41 UTC 2016

Hi libreswaner's

I just had an issue where I was connecting a tunnel from Libreswan to AWS. SAs would time out but remain open, and eventually new SAs would stop working. After 6-12 hours of tunnel uptime, eventually I had a long list of EVENT_SA_EXPIRE instances when doing an ipsec status.

All I had to do is set rekey=yes and my problems disappeared. Thought this might help someone in the future.

FYI, this is using 3.15.

Thanks,

Matt