[Swan] Please review: docuemntation of openswan to libreswan migration

Tony Whyman tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com
Thu Dec 10 10:35:11 UTC 2015

Supplementing my original point - I've gone through the notes I made
when converting from Ubuntu/Openswan to Libreswan and, apart from the
NSS issue, it was generally very straightforward, especially for a
"standard" VPN type configuration. The only other issue of note comes
from building Libreswan as deb packages and installing from .deb files.

In this case, Libreswan was installed (under Ubuntu) as an upstart job
while Openswan had been a System V Init script install. This caused some
initial confusion as /etc/init.d/ipsec had for some reason not been
removed when the Libreswan package was installed (I used my own
repository and apt-get).

I was also used to controlling pluto by using commands such as
"/etc/init.d/ipsec restart" when the VPN needed to be kicked back into
life. With Libreswan, I need to use "ipsec restart" instead.

It's these small differences that, in practice, affect the user much
more than the build time parameter changes.

Tony