[Swan] Cannot compile Libreswan 3.14 and newer on CentOS 5

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Sep 25 05:37:18 UTC 2015

| From: Tomas France <tomfra at centrum.cz>

| OK, I did something (installing new flex, bison, patching source...)
| apparently and now I get this error when compiling, instead of the Flex
| error:
|
| ------------------------------
| -c /opt/libreswan-3.15/programs/pluto/timer.c
| cc1: warnings being treated as errors
| /opt/libreswan-3.15/programs/pluto/timer.c: In function 'timer_event_cb':
| /opt/libreswan-3.15/programs/pluto/timer.c:455: warning:
| 'last_used_age.delta_secs' is used uninitialized in this function
| make[3]: *** [timer.o] Error 1
| make[3]: Leaving directory
| `/opt/libreswan-3.15/OBJ.linux.x86_64/programs/pluto'
| make[2]: *** [local-base] Error 2
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/libreswan-3.15/programs/pluto'
| ------------------------------
|
| What is strange is that it used to be failing at the timer.c compile
| Yesterday, that I started getting the flex issue. Not sure what this means
| to be honest.

That seems odd to me.  I downloaded the 3.15 tarball and line 455 is
not in function timer_event_cb.

Do you have some other 3.15?  (I haven't read the whole thread so I
might have missed an explanation.)

On the other hand, the compiler is correct:

last_used_age is used without initialization in
ikev2_log_v2_sa_expired.  It should be harmless and it is pointless.

I wonder why nobody noticed?  I wonder if this is a warning that newer
GCCs no longer generate.  I seem to vaguely remember this retrograde
step in GCC.  Sad.