[Swan] malformed payload error

David M da3bobots at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 22:46:18 EET 2015

I have 6 instances of libreswan running in Google Compute Engine with each
terminating at varying firewall appliances (non-cloud).
Yesterday 3 of the 6 instances were inaccessible at the same time.
Each had "malformed payload in packet" messages (never before seen) in
their ipsec.log file over the same period of time.
The instances all came back eventually without intervention.

Later in the afternoon Google Cloud Platform posted about connection issues
covering my outage.
I will still look at upgrading but now don't think this particular issue
was with libreswan.