[Swan] adding ipsec clients requiring reboot

Ted Toth txtoth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 15:28:15 EET 2014

This is actually an openswan RHEL6 question but hopefully the answer
will also apply to libreswan. We have a script to add a ipsec client
to our server which creates ${REMOTE_HOSTNAME}.conf (conn
${REMOTE_HOSTNAME}) and ${REMOTE_HOSTNAME}.secrets in /etc/ipsec.d and
then does:
ipsec auto --add ${REMOTE_HOSTNAME}
ipsec auto --asynchronous --up ${REMOTE_HOSTNAME}

On the client we do the mirror using the server hostname. However the
connection doesn't work unless we reboot both ends. What are the steps
and their order required to add a client without having to reboot?

Ted